What could be more fun than to grill marshmallows, sing and chat cheerfully around a campfire? To ensure that everyone keeps warm memories of the campfire, follow these simple tips:
- If there is a furnace, use it, but first make sure it is safe. Otherwise, look for a bare ground.
- Leave a free area of at least three meters in diameter around the fire by removing debris such as leaves and twigs and then place rocks in a circle around the fire to prevent it from spreading.
- Campfires should be lit by adults and not by children. Use tinder (eg, needles or grass) or crumpled newspaper to light the fire – never use gasoline.
- Ensure that the fire is monitored by an adult at all times: supervise children and pets and prevent the fire from becoming too large or sparks from flying in the woods.
- Have a bucket of water, sand and a shovel under your hand.
- Extinguish the fire completely before going to bed or before leaving the place.
- Always have a flashlight on you so you can walk around at nightfall and help others locate yourself – a flashlight per person.